A gastric balloon is nowadays rarely used. The experience with this procedure show that many patients revert to old habits after the removal of the balloon. Also the gastric band is no longer popular because of the many complications.
Weight Loss Surgeries Explained: Gastric banding or gastric balloon
A gastric band or gastric ballon ensures that the patient gets satisfied faster. If a gastric band is used, a smaller upper stomach is created, to achieve a feeling of satisfaction quickly. This will greatly limit the intake of food.
- A balloon is a temporary measure, it is removed after 6 months. The surgery takes 30 minutes under local anesthesia. The recovery phase is minimal. One can feel 3 to 5 days of nausea and vomiting.
- A gastric balloon is cheaper and the requirements are less stringent. A gastric balloon is not always covered by the health insurance.
- A gastric band is done under general anesthesia and takes a half an hour.
- The cost of a stomach band vary from centre to centre. In some cases, the health insurance covers the costs of a gastric band.
- The recovery phase is 3 to 4 weeks after surgery. Sometimes it is recommended to the patient to eat liquid food in the beginning.
- A gastric band is created during a key hole surgery with only four cuts.